Court reserves ruling on Babar Awan’s acquittal plea
ISLAMABAD: An Accountability Court (AC) Monday reserved its judgment on a plea of Dr Babar Awan seeking his acquittal in Nandipur Power Project reference.
AC Judge Arshad Malik reserved the decision after NAB prosecutor and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Dr Baber Awan concluded their arguments in the case. Earlier, Babar Awan argued that two summaries were sent to Law and Justice Division regarding the project before he assumed charge as law minister. Not any minister had given such approval in the past as it was the power of Secretary Law and Justice, he said.
He pleaded that his name was not mentioned anywhere in above corruption reference filed by National Accountability Bureau (NAB). He said Nandipur Power Project couldn’t be completed so far.
However, the NAB prosecutor Zeeshan Masood argued that his department had filed reference against former prime minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, Babar Awan and five other persons related to power project scam.
The Ministry of L&J had also mentioned Babar Awan in list of responsible persons for delaying the project. He said the ministry had approved the project before Babar Awan held office of law minister, adding that after this the law ministry didn’t signed the guarantee form of the project despite four summaries were sent to it during Babar Awan’s tenure.
He said that the department had evidence and 37 witnesses against the accused persons. After the two sides completed their arguments, the court reserved its judgment on the matter. Meanwhile, former prime minister Pervaiz Ashraf’s counsel pleaded before the court that all documents attached with the reference should suppose to be shared with the accused before indictment. He prayed the court to allow him to present arguments before framing charges against his client. The AC judge asked the counsel to submit arguments once the court would decide former prime minister’s acquittal plea.